There are many ways parents can support the new Common Core Standards for English Language Arts at home. Here are a few suggestions:
• Read and understand the standards your child is expected to know and be able to do at his/her grade level. You can find the Common Core State Standards here
• Read more non-fiction with your child. Do an actual science experiment that you read about in a book. Have fun with it!
• Find books that explain something and discuss non-fiction texts and the ideas within them with your child
• Provide more challenging and interesting topics for children to read. Read multiple books on the same topic
• Demand evidence from your child as part of everyday discussions and disagreements
• Encourage writing by creating and writing your own books together using evidence and details
Finally, read your child’s test report. Understand your child’s academic strengths and weaknesses. If you don’t understand the format or the content of the report, contact your child’s teacher and schedule a phone call or a meeting to discuss the report