Vern Connors, JPS Director of Finance & Business Affairs and Superintendent Sylvia Root presented a 2017-18 Proposed Budget to the Board of Education at last night’s meeting.
The 2017-18 Proposed Budget includes no tax levy increase and no staff reductions.
Mr. Connors discussed the history of NYS Foundation Aid, GAP Elimination Adjustment, the JPS tax levy (remains at 2010-11 level) and prior staff adjustments. He also talked about the use of JPS’ Fund Balance from 2007-08 to 2015-16. He gave a budget projection & proposed revenue and expenditures budget as of 3/24/17 with the caveat that all information is based on the Governor’s proposal.
As per the Board of Education’s request, Superintendent Root presented her recommendations for increasing the JPS staffing for the 2017-18 school year:
- Adding two elementary school teachers at Bush and Persell to decrease class sizes
- Adding one elementary school music teacher to meet instructional needs and scheduling flexibility. This will allow students to receive music once every four days instead of once every eight days.
- Adding two English Speaker of Other Languages and two paraprofessionals. Currently Washington ENL students go to Jefferson School for their classes. This would allow the students to stay at their home school and met program needs.
- Adding one school psychologist
- Possible needs from summer enrollment (if student move from school to school or new students enter the district)
Superintendent Root also talked about possible staffing needs for future school years:
- Restoring the 7th & 8th grade middle school design, which would require adding teachers
- Adding elementary school principals
- Adding middle school counselors, elementary school art teachers and elementary school librarians
The JPS Board of Education will hold a Budget Work Session this Tuesday, April 4th at 6 p.m. at 197 Martin Road. The JPS Budget Hearing will be on May 9th at 6 p.m. at Persell Middle School. The Budget Vote and School Board Elections will be held on 5/16 from 12 to 9 p.m. For more information, please click here.