The New York State Education Department (SED) annually reviews the academic performance of each school, based on results of state assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and Math as well as graduation rate. Under this accountability system, our district has been identified as a “Focus District,” and some of our schools have been identified as “Focus Schools.”
A Focus School is one in which the test results for one or more groups of students are below certain expectations set by SED. As a result of this designation, Focus Schools must develop and implement a plan for school improvement in order to improve academic achievement for all students in the school.
A school may also be identified for improvement based on failure to make adequate yearly progress for one or more accountability groups for three consecutive years. In this case, a Local Assistance Plan will be required, but the school is not designated as a Focus School.
The following have been identified for improvement status in 2016-17. Use the links below to view the improvement plan for each school:
- Jamestown City School District – Focus District
- Samuel G Love Elementary School – Focus School
- Carlyle C Ring Elementary School – Focus School
- Thomas Jefferson Middle School – Focus School
- Persell Middle School – Focus School
- George Washington Middle School – Focus School
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary School – Local Assistance Plan
Parents of students that are to be enrolled in a Focus School must be provided the opportunity to request that their child transfer to a district school that is not a Focus School. Because all middle schools are designated as Focus Schools, the district is unable to offer a school choice option for students at Jefferson, Persell, or Washington.
- Clinton V Bush Elementary School
- Milton J Fletcher Elementary School
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary School